Friday, August 6, 2010

Grassroots Campaigning at its Best


In response to Kevin Lacourse's letter to the editor, Gertie Johnson's letter to the editor today highlights an important aspect of this election. With less than 40 days until the primary, we are seeing the beginning of a dialogue that demonstrates the true citizen-legislature nature of New Hampshire. I am proud to have earned Kevin's support, and proud of our grassroots efforts to engage a diverse voter base.

Below is the letter from Kevin, as well as the response from Gertie. Thank you both for your letters.


Sincerely,


Frank Guinta


Nashua Telegraph- August 6, 2010

Letter Sparked Memory of Passion and Politics

This is in response to Kevin Lacourse’s letter of July 31 titled “First-time voter backs Guinta for Congress.”

When I was younger, I was also very passionate about voting like you seem to be. I recall spending days and many nights in smoky places trying to convince as many people as I possibly could of the “candidate of my choice.”

I, too, have met Frank Guinta recently. I too, was impressed with him, but I would have not thought – after my probably equally intense conversation with him – to sit down and write to urge voters to support him.

I am not that passionate about politics anymore. Voting to me now is knowing that I have a choice, which I am sincerely thankful for.

After reading your letter, I realized that the days of my passionate efforts to convince others that most likely had already made up their minds are gone, remembering their equally passionate responses to my approaches.

I think it is great that you sat down and wrote your letter. Being passionate about something is simply great.

I just want to be the little voice to remind you that people do have choices, and I, for myself, am totally against being told what to do and, even more so, who to vote for.

I do consider suggestions, though, so thank you very much for sharing your opinion and reminding me of the kind of passion that can be found in youth.

Gertie Johnson


Nashua


Nashua Telegraph- July 31, 2010

First-Time Voter Backs Guinta for Congress

This upcoming midterm election will be the first time that I will be able to participate and cast my vote.

One aspect I believe to be important in choosing a candidate is how he or she engages the voters.

Recently, I was at a small event for former Manchester Mayor Frank Guinta. Simply put, I was impressed. Unlike a lot of candidates, Mr. Guinta sounded different.

Sometimes candidates would shake my hand loosely and then look over my head at the next group of “acquaintances” to make. Instead, it was clear that when I asked him a question, he was talking to me, not through me.

This type of engagement is also evident in his proposal, the People’s Fiscal Responsibility and Reform Pact. In it, he outlines 10 changes he would like to enact and then asks voters to help choose five additional reforms. This is exactly what it means to be a representative of the people.

Join me Sept. 14 in voting for Frank Guinta for Congress in the 1st District.

Kevin Lacourse


Chester